Haven’t made it out to the islands yet and wondering what you can do in Nadi? We got you! Nadi, a magical spot in Fiji, has tons of cool stuff waiting for you! Let’s check out the classic touristy things and some secret gems.
1. Go to Sri Siva Subramaniya Swami Temple
It’s this super colourful and fancy Hindu temple – the biggest in the Southern Hemisphere! You’ll be amazed. It is an architectural gem and an essential cultural landmark. Here’s a glimpse of what it looks like and a brief overview of its history:
- The temple features vibrant, intricate Dravidian architecture, characteristic of South Indian temples. The colorful details, sculpted pillars, and ornate carvings make it a visually stunning structure.
- The towering gopuram (entrance tower) is adorned with a riot of colours and sculpted deities, creating a striking and welcoming entrance.
- The temple is dedicated to Lord Murugan, the Hindu God of War, and is one of the largest Hindu temples in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Inside, you’ll find multiple shrines and sanctums, each dedicated to different deities within the Hindu pantheon.
- The Sri Siva Subramaniya Temple was consecrated in 1994. It holds historical significance as the realization of a dream for the Fijian-Indian community, which desired a traditional Hindu place of worship.
- The temple was constructed using traditional craftsmanship, and artisans from India were involved in the intricate carvings and designs.
- Beyond its architectural beauty, the temple plays a crucial role in preserving and promoting Hindu culture and spirituality in Fiji.
- It serves as a focal point for religious and cultural events, attracting both locals and tourists interested in exploring Fiji’s diverse heritage.
- Modest attire is required when entering the temple. Visitors may need to cover their shoulders and knees as a sign of respect.
- Shoes are not allowed inside the temple premises.
- Assuming you’re staying at one of the largest hotels in Nadi, such as one near Denarau Island, here are general directions to the Sri Siva Subramaniya Temple:
- From Denarau Island, Head Northeast. Exit your hotel and head northeast toward Nadi Town. Denarau Island is approximately 20 minutes away from Nadi. Follow Queens Road: Once on Queens Road, continue eastward. The temple is situated in the heart of Nadi, not far from the main town center. Enter Nadi Town: As you approach Nadi Town, you’ll start to see signs or directions pointing to the Sri Siva Subramaniya Temple. Reach the Temple: Follow the signs or ask locals for directions. The temple is centrally located in Nadi and is easily accessible from the main road.
- If you’re not renting a car, taxis and local buses are readily available in Nadi. Taxis are a convenient option and can take you directly to the temple.
Exploring the Sri Siva Subramaniya Temple offers a unique cultural experience, providing insight into the rich tapestry of Fiji’s multicultural identity. 🕉️🏰🇫🇯
2. Hit the Markets
Nadi Market and Namaka Market are where it’s at! Taste yummy Fijian snacks, try tropical fruits, and grab some cool souvenirs. Nadi Market is right in the heart of Nadi town, Fiji, making it super accessible for locals and visitors alike. Now, before you dive into this vibrant marketplace, here are some practical tips to ensure you have a smooth and enjoyable experience:
Location, Location, Location
- You can find Nadi Market on Market Road in the central part of Nadi town. It’s a hub of activity, so you can’t miss it! However, if you prefer one that’s less bustling, check out Namaka Food Market along Queens Road near the airport.
Timing Is Everything
- The market is typically open every day, but mornings are when it’s buzzing with the freshest produce and the most vibrant atmosphere. Early birds catch the juiciest pineapples!
Cash Is King
- Bring some Fijian dollars in cash. While larger shops may accept cards, having cash on hand is handy, especially when dealing with local vendors.
Bargain with a Smile
- Bargaining is a part of the experience. Don’t be shy to negotiate prices, but do it with a friendly smile. It adds to the fun!
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothing. Nadi Market involves a bit of walking, and you want to be at ease while exploring the stalls.
Hydrate and Snack
- Fiji can be warm, so bring a water bottle to stay hydrated. And, why not sample some of the local snacks while you shop? It’s all part of the experience!
Respect the Culture
- Fijians are warm and welcoming. Always greet vendors with a friendly “Bula!” (hello) and be respectful of the local customs.
BYOB – Bring Your Own Bag
- Consider bringing a reusable bag. It’s not just eco-friendly, but it also makes carrying your goodies a breeze.
Explore Beyond the Market
- Nadi town has more to offer. Take some time to wander through the surrounding streets and discover hidden gems.
Ask Locals for Recommendations
- Don’t hesitate to strike up a conversation with locals. They often have the best tips on what to buy, where to eat, and other hidden treasures in the area.
Visiting Nadi Market is not just about shopping; it’s a chance to immerse yourself in Fijian culture. So, go on, enjoy the colours, flavours, and friendly faces – you’re in for a treat! 🌺🛍️🇫🇯
3. Cruise the Sabeto River
Take a chill boat ride on the Sabeto River. You’ll see pretty views, visit villages, and feel super peaceful.
4. Chill at Denarau Island
Denarau Island is like a luxury paradise. There are awesome resorts, golf courses, and even a marina – total relaxation! Denarau Island is a resort-infused haven located in close proximity to Nadi, Fiji’s international gateway. Connected to the mainland by a short causeway, Denarau is a man-made island designed for luxury and leisure.
5. Experience Cloud 9
Cloud 9 is a floating bar and entertainment platform located in the crystal-clear waters of the South Pacific, specifically in the Malolo Barrier Reef in Fiji. Here’s the scoop on this super cool spot:
- Floating Paradise
Picture a massive, two-level floating platform surrounded by the stunning turquoise waters of Fiji. That’s Cloud 9! It’s like a floating paradise in the middle of the ocean.
- Bar in the Sea
Guess what’s on this floating wonder? A bar! And not just any bar – it’s a trendy, open-air bar where you can chill, grab a drink, and soak up the Fijian sunshine.
- Epic Views
One of the coolest things about Cloud 9 is the breathtaking 360-degree views. You’re literally in the middle of this tropical paradise, surrounded by endless ocean vibes. Perfect for snapping Instagram-worthy pics!
- Water Activities
Feeling adventurous? Cloud 9 offers various water activities right off the platform. You can dive into the crystal-clear water, snorkel around, or even try out some water sports like paddleboarding or jet skiing.
- Music and Vibes
Cloud 9 is not just a bar; it’s a floating party! They often have DJs spinning tunes, creating a lively and energetic atmosphere. It’s like a floating festival, but with a laid-back island vibe.
- Boat Transfers
To reach Cloud 9, you’ll usually need to take a boat transfer from the nearby resorts or ports. It adds a bit of adventure to the whole experience!
In a nutshell, Cloud 9 is like a dreamy, floating island bar where you can enjoy drinks, music, and the incredible beauty of Fiji’s waters. It’s a must-visit for anyone looking to add a unique and unforgettable experience to their Fijian adventure! 🏝️🍹🎶
6. Get your Souvenirs at Nadi Handicraft Market
If you’re on the lookout for the perfect Fiji memento, Nadi Handicraft Market offers a treasure trove of distinctively Fijian options.
- Location: Nestled in the heart of Nadi, this market is a haven for authentic Fijian crafts.
- What to Expect: From handmade traditional Tapa cloths to intricately carved wooden artifacts, the market is a showcase of Fijian craftsmanship. Bargaining is welcomed, adding to the lively shopping experience.
7. Tasty Adventures in Nadi: Eat Like a Fijian Food Explorer!
Nadi’s like a treasure chest of flavours waiting to be discovered. Get ready to treat your taste buds to a mix of Fijian delights and global goodies:
Local Fijian Yums
- Top Picks: Imagine feasting on Lovo (cooked in an earth oven), Kokoda (like Fijian sushi), and Palusami (coconut magic). Find these at cool Fijian spots – it’s like a taste explosion!
Denarau’s Global Eats
- Foodie Heaven: Hop over to Denarau Island – it’s a short trip from Nadi. Loads of restaurants with everything from pasta to sushi. Your taste buds will go on a world tour!
Market Munchies and Street Snacks
- Market Magic: Nadi Market is a snack haven. Try cassava chips, coconut treats, and all the fruity goodness. Wander the streets for samosas, roti, and other local goodies.
- Under the Stars: Some resorts throw Lovo nights – special feasts with cool Fijian food and awesome performances. It’s like a party for your belly!
- Ocean Treats: Since Nadi’s surrounded by the sea, the seafood’s epic! Fish, prawns, and lobster – all fresh and ready for your plate.
Chill at Vuda Marina
- Waterfront Vibes: Swing by Vuda Marina for casual eats with a view. Cafes and restaurants serving up tasty local and world bites – perfect for a chill day.
- Fresh Goodies: Some places do the farm-to-table thing. That means super fresh eats from local farms. Yum!
- Party Time: Check if there are any food festivals happening when you’re there. It’s like a celebration of food – who wouldn’t want that?
Bakeries and Sweet Stops
- Sweet Tooth Heaven: Dive into local bakeries for Fijian sweets and coffee that’s just right. It’s like a dessert paradise!
Chef Mode: Wanna be a Fijian chef? Join a cooking class! Learn to make the coolest dishes and impress your friends back home.
Nadi’s food adventure is calling, and it’s time for your taste buds to party. From Fijian faves to treats from around the world, Nadi’s got your food journey covered. Get ready for a tasty escapade! 🍕🍜🍰
8. See Mystical Giant Women and Iguana Spirits at Vou Hub
Catch a show at the first-ever artist-owned venue in Fiji, just 5 minutes from Denarau Island in Nadi! Imagine a theater with 450 seats where the Fijian performing arts come to life! 🎭💃 VOU believes that in our world today, the arts can bring people together and heal the world. 🌍❤️ Dive into the untold stories of Mystical Giant women, Octopus Gods, and a Shape-Shifting Iguana spirit. Join a young girl on a daring self-discovery journey beyond the soil she’s born on, into the dreamy Fijian underworld.
Start your night with an amazing live drumming extravaganza! 🥁 Then, get ready for a mix of contemporary and traditional song and dance that’ll awaken your senses and connect you with beautiful Fiji! 🎶✨
Tickets are available:
- $65NZD for General Admission
- $220NZD for a Family Package (2 Adults, 2 Kids)
- $250NZD for a Group Package (4 Adults)
And guess what? The package includes return transfers from hotels in Nadi, a complimentary drink, and a snack! 🚌🥂
Catch this enchanting experience every Thursday & Sunday at 8 PM at the VOU Hub Fiji. 🌈
Here are the pickup times for transfers from various hotels:
- 6:45 PM – Marriott
- 7:00 PM – Wyndham
- 7:10 PM – Radisson
- 7:15 PM – Sheraton
- 7:20 PM – Sofitel
- 7:25 PM – Hilton
- 7:30 PM – The Palms & The Terraces
- 7 PM – Novotel & Tanoa International Hotel
- 7:10-7:20 PM – Mercure, Tanoa Skylodge, Ratsun, Hexagon, Capricorn
- 7:15 PM – Wailoaloa Backpacker Hotels
Don’t miss out on this extraordinary adventure! 🌟 Grab your tickets and get ready to be dazzled at the VOU HUB Fiji! 🎟️✨
9: The Beaches of Nadi
If you’re in Nadi and dreaming of sandy adventures, we’ve got some cool beach spots for you! 🌊✨ Wailoaloa Beach is a fantastic choice with budget-friendly resorts, yummy restaurants, and welcoming vibes. 🍔🏨 It’s right on Wailoaloa Road in Nadi – super easy to find!
But wait, there’s more! 🤩 Head just 30 minutes north to Saweni Beach, a crescent stretch of sandy awesomeness on the way to Lautoka. 🚗💨 Look for the beach access road past The Fiji Orchid accommodation – you can’t miss it!
And if you’re up for a bit of a road trip, go one hour south to Natadola Beach on the Coral Coast. 🚙🌴 Imagine sweeping sands and endless fun! 🏄♂️🌅 To get there, just take the turn-off to the InterContinental Resort from the Queens Road.
So, there you have it – beachy goodness near Nadi for your sun-soaked adventures! 🌞🏝️ Enjoy the waves and make some awesome memories! 🤙😎
10. Nadi Nightlife ARE YOU READY TO PARTAY?!
Hey party peeps! 🎉 Ready for some nightlife fun in Nadi? Let’s dive in! 🕺🌃
1. Bounty Bar & Restaurant 🍹
Known as Nadi’s nightlife must-see bar, Bounty is the place to be! It’s got cool vibes, great music, and well-made drinks. 🎶🍸 Located on Martintar, it’s a hotspot for locals and visitors alike!
2. Ice Bar ❄️🥂
Chill out at Ice Bar for a unique experience. As the name suggests, it’s icy cool and perfect for a refreshing drink. The atmosphere is as cool as the drinks! 🍻❄️
3. Ed’s Bar 🍻🎤
If you’re into live music, Ed’s Bar is your jam! Enjoy live performances and maybe even discover some local talent. It burned down a few years ago but they’re back and better than ever! 🎸🎤 It’s on Nadi Back Road – don’t miss it!
4. Bar One
Probably the hottest Dance Club in Fiji, the under-rated Bar One (37 Queens Road, Martintar, Nadi) is certain to sear the party memories into your brain!
1. Hike the Sleeping Giant
Get away from the crowds and hike at Sleeping Giant. It’s a cool garden with lots of pretty flowers.
2. Naisoso Island
For a quiet escape, go to Naisoso Island. It’s not far from Nadi and has beautiful beaches.
3. Koroyanitu National Heritage Park
For adventure, try Koroyanitu Park. Hike through the forest, find waterfalls, and visit traditional Fijian villages.
4. Hot Springs and Sleeping Giant Combo
Mix it up! Try a mud bath at the hot springs and then wander through the Sleeping Giant garden – two cool things in one! Imagine this awesome place called the Sabeto Valley in Fiji. It’s like a magical land with two cool spots: the Sabeto Mud Pools and the Sleeping Giant.
So, the Sabeto Mud Pools are these warm mud baths where you can play around and feel like you’re in a spa made by nature. The mud is like a magical potion that makes your skin feel amazing! And guess what? It’s not far from the Sleeping Giant.
Now, the Sleeping Giant is like a super cool garden with tons of flowers and walking paths. It gets the name from The Sleeping Giant mountain range that earned its name due to its resemblance to a giant figure lying on its back. The profile of the mountain range, with its peaks and ridges, is said to resemble the form of a reclining giant when viewed from certain angles. It’s like stepping into a fairy tale! So, here’s the best part – you can do both! Jump into the mud pools, have a blast, and then stroll through the Sleeping Giant’s dreamy gardens. It’s like having two awesome adventures in one magical valley! 🌋💦🌺
Here’s what makes the Sabeto Mud Pools a unique and enjoyable experience:
- Natural Mud Bath: Visitors can immerse themselves in the warm, soft mud, which is believed to have various minerals that are beneficial for the skin. The mud is thought to cleanse and exfoliate the skin, leaving it feeling refreshed and revitalized.
- Thermal Springs: In addition to the mud pools, there are natural thermal springs in the area. The warm water from these springs is perfect for soaking, creating a relaxing and therapeutic experience.
Nadi is like a wonderland of Fijian awesomeness. Whether you like the usual tourist stuff or want to find hidden spots, Nadi has something special for everyone. 🌴🌈🚤