Whilst still in the wet season, April is a fantastic time for Australians and Kiwis to visit Fiji, as the weather is generally pleasant, offering a tropical escape from the cooler temperatures back home. April marks the end of the wet season in Fiji, transitioning to drier conditions. There will be occasional showers, but overall rainfall decreases towards the end of the month, and landscapes remain lush.
Let’s look at what you can expect in terms of weather conditions compared to Australia’s major cities.
Fiji experiences warm temperatures in April, making it an ideal destination for those seeking sun and relaxation. Highs typically range from 26°C to 31°C (79°F to 88°F), providing a delightful contrast to the cooler autumn weather in Australia.
- Sydney: Fiji’s temperatures in April are notably warmer than Sydney’s autumn weather, providing a welcome escape from the cooler conditions in Australia’s largest city.
- Melbourne: Fiji offers a considerable temperature increase compared to Melbourne’s autumn chill, making it an attractive destination for Melburnians seeking warmth.
- Auckland: Autumn in Auckland sees temperatures ranging from 12°C to 20°C (54°F to 68°F). That’s a lot cooler than Fiji, so your typical Jafa will enjoy the tropical warmth of Fiji in April.
April marks the transition from the wet season to the dry season in Fiji. While there might be some scattered showers, rainfall is generally decreasing. You can expect lush landscapes and vibrant flora, as nature responds to the earlier rains. You probably won’t get long, heavy, sustained downpours.
This table shows the average April rainfall for major Fiji destinations in April:
|Average April Rainfall (inches)
|Average April Rainfall (mm)
April Sunlight in Fiji
In April, when it’s not raining, its sunny!
The UV index in Fiji is generally high in April. It’s advisable to use sunscreen, wear protective clothing, and seek shade during peak sunlight hours to prevent sunburn.
Fiji experiences a good amount of daylight in April. You can expect approximately 11 to 12 hours of daylight each day.
Sunrise and Sunset
The exact times for sunrise and sunset can vary depending on your specific location within Fiji. On average, sunrise occurs around 6:15 AM, and sunset is around 6:00 PM.
It’s important to stay sun-safe, especially during outdoor activities. Use sunscreen with a high SPF, wear sunglasses and a hat, and stay hydrated!
Tropical Storm Risk
April is considered a low-risk month for tropical storms in Fiji. As you see from the table below which lists the five most recent notable tropical storms in Fiji, none of them occurred in April! That said, while the cyclone season is technically ending, it’s always advisable to stay updated on weather forecasts for any unexpected changes.
The sea temperature in Fiji remains invitingly warm in April, ranging from 28°C to 30°C (82°F to 86°F). This makes it perfect for water activities, such as snorkeling and diving. Let’s compare that to Auckland:
- Fiji: The sea temperature in Fiji during April remains warm, ranging from 28°C to 30°C (82°F to 86°F). It’s perfect for enjoying water activities.
- Auckland: The sea around Auckland starts to cool off in April, with temperatures ranging from 18°C to 22°C (64°F to 72°F). Quite a bit cooler compared to Fiji!
The Best Place in Fiji to visit in April
Fiji High recommends the Yasawa Islands as the best destination in April. Here are some considerations:
- Temperature: Expect warm temperatures with an average high of around 31°C (88°F).
- Rainfall: While Fiji experiences a decrease in rainfall compared to the wet season, some rain can still be expected. April is generally in the transition period towards the drier season.
- Water Activities: The sea temperature remains warm, making it suitable for water activities like snorkeling, diving, and swimming.
- Cultural Experiences: Check for any local events, festivals, or cultural experiences happening in the Yasawa Islands during April.
- Different islands within the Yasawa group may have varying weather conditions, so it’s advisable to check the specific forecast for your chosen destination.
- April is not peak tourist season, so you may experience fewer crowds, providing a more serene and relaxed atmosphere.
- Be aware that weather conditions can vary, and it’s recommended to check updated weather forecasts closer to your travel date.
Wonderful blend of warm temperatures, reduced rainfall
For Australian and New Zealand travellers seeking a tropical getaway in April, Fiji offers a wonderful blend of warm temperatures, reduced rainfall, and enticing sea temperatures. Whether you’re escaping Sydney’s or Melbourne’s cooler weather, Fiji provides an idyllic setting for a relaxing and rejuvenating holiday.